Wide-band O2 sensor - Hugo?

Ray Drouillard RayLists at quixnet.net
Wed Oct 17 02:54:42 GMT 2001

Is the wide-band information on the site a descendent of the project that I
was involved with a few years ago?

I recall that someone had started project "Hugo", then left the list after a
protracted and ugly flame war.  A group of people (including Bruce Plecan)
and I started working on it.  I did some research on the theory of operation
of the device (very simple, actually), and came up with a preliminary
schematic.  That design was later refined.  Somehow, I lost communication
with the team.

I just looked at the new design.  I see some similarities, like the "virtual
ground" created by an op-amp in voltage follower configuration.  The output
circuitry is very similar - except that it looks like someone figured out
how to use the calibration resistor that comes with the sensor.  I was
wondering how that thing could be used :)  Also, it looks like the circuitry
that feeds the ion pump has been beefed up.  It's been so long that I forgot
how much current that ion pump requires.

Well... I have a little more reading to do.

Great job, guys!

It looks like you even knocked the output voltage down to a range where it
can be a direct replacement for the HEGO sensor on my Holley Pro-Jection
system.  Holley designed their box so that the user can change the O2
voltage required based on the speed and load of the engine.  It'll be
interesting to see if I can hook the sensor up and just do some tweaking of
that map.

Ray Drouillard