Source for high pressure 12v water pump

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Wed Oct 17 02:58:46 GMT 2001

-> I'm trying to source a 75 psi 12v water pump for use in water
-> injection.  Web searches for such items are very time consuming and
-> so far not productive.  Anyone have any ideas?

 It might be simpler to use one of the small 12V portable air
compressors from K-Mart to pressurize a tank.  Some of them will run
over 100 PSI, probably for bicycle tires or something.  Then all you
need is a 12V valve.  They make them for liquid, but Bimba and others
make stainless steel air valves which would work just fine for water.
WW Grainger or McMaster-Carr can get those.

 The reservoir would stay under pressure all the time; any leakdown
would be made up within a minute or two after restart.  Volume change in
use would be very slow, so there's not much chance of overrunning the
compressor.

 Stripped of their plastic housings, some of the compressors are quite
small.  You might also be able to scavenge one from a '70s or '80s
Cadillac or Olds with the automatic ride height adjust - your choice of
12V or vacuum(!) operation.

 You also get a source of compressed air right in the car, handy if you
autocross or do track events.

==dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us======================================
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?