Compression ratio and compression test readings.

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 17 13:02:46 GMT 2001

What's really going on is that the air would warm up to a lot more than
240° F if it weren't losing heat to the cylinder & chamber walls.

Which is ONE reason why you will get higher comp. test readings on a warm
engine. (ANOTHER is that it will crank faster, leaving less TIME for heat
loss to occur.)

You need to look up the equation for an "adiabatic" compression process in
order to get an idea of what is going on.

The temperature of any gas will rise when it is compressed unless heat is
removed from it. If the compression process is less than perfectly
efficient, the temp will rise more. How MUCH the temp of a gas rises during
compression varies inversely with its molecular weight.

Greg