Lean burn engines

Craig Dotson crdotson at vt.edu
Thu Oct 18 00:44:49 GMT 2001

> If you have seriously "open" chamber heads--with no squish area--you're
out
> of luck on this one.

I noticed you were running an AMC 360 V8....I'm assuming this is roughly the
same as the Dodge 360 V8 since Chry Co bought out AMC either late 70s or
early 80s.  If that's the case, you are IN luck.  My 88 Ramcharger with the
318 has swirl-port heads with smaller chambers (more squish area) than the
360 heads.

Most 318s from 85+ had them....you can identify them by the "302" casting
number.  I think that designation is near the end of the casting number on
the head, but I am not sure.  The only potential problem with these heads
for your use is the smaller ports from the 318 engine, although some serious
porting and installation of larger valves COULD bring them back to 360 flow
specs.  OTOH, the greater turbulence induced by the smaller port/valve area
could help your lean-burn goals even more.  Hey, these WERE the heads used
on the lean-burn 318!!!

Craig Dotson
crdotson at vt.edu
2002 VT FormulaSAE