Thermal coatings

Jurgen Hartwig jhartwig at midsouth.rr.com
Sat Oct 20 18:45:00 GMT 2001

> I am just watching this one, but I believe Hooker Super Comp headers
are
> coated both inside and out. I've also read on the DIY kits, most
enthusiasts
> just don't take the time to coat the inside.

It's easier to coat the inside of a header when it's new.  When the
header is used, etching the bare metal and applying the coating is a
lot harder than just "running a wet rag down the inside."  Just
plaining stating the enthusiast is too lazy to coat the inside is a
bit misleading.  I have had experience with Techline's products on
pistons.  If they aren't absolutely clean and properly prepped, the
material just won't bite and stick.  Imagine the trouble with a set of
used headers with primary lengths of 20+ inches.

regards,
jay

PS> I have heard that Techline's stuff is overblown and worthless, but
that is just hearsay from a friend of an experienced coating company
owner.  He said something to the effect of "Techline sends all their
real work to us for coating."