Thermal coatings

Jurgen Hartwig jhartwig at midsouth.rr.com
Sun Oct 21 02:22:21 GMT 2001

> >  Anyway, if you want a
> > contact name and phone number, I can look it up.
> Just curious.  If he's got a supplier of guaranteed-to-work stuff,
I'm kinda
> curious as to who it is.

I had it on my recently crashed hard drive.  I will send out some
emails and let you know what I find.

> The machine shop that I delivered the heads to said the coating in
the chambers
> had to be removed before they could open the valve seats up.  They
assured me
> that they could remove it.  Turns out that 20 minutes with a
combination of
> steel shot and silica applied at 130 psi with a blaster did almost
nothing to
> remove the coating.  They returned the heads to me and I spent about
2 hours
> with a blaster and a bag of brand new "Black Beauty" sand removing
the coating
> for them.  I was worried about it coming off after the shot
blasting, but that
> was probably a non issue.  Removing the coating required air
pressures of
> 120-150 psi, and the head of the blaster was kept within 1" of the
surface.
> Needless to say, re-application was trouble free, and I am worry
free with
> regards to durability.

This is super-great testimony.  I applied their coating on my pistons
and combustion chamber.  At the time of use, Tech Line had just
released a new thermal barrier coating that could be applied onto
aluminum and steel parts.  I *might* be tearing the heads off my car
in the near future.  If I do, I will post pics of the parts.  I don't
have any engine problems, so it will be nice to see some clean parts
<fingers crossed>.

> I am able to run my engine without detonation on low octane fuel and
that's what
> the goal was.  In fact I can advance my timing way beyond optimal
and still
> see/hear no sign of detonation.  We're talking about static
compression ratios
> of over 10:1.

I'm still listening. :)  Looks like you had good results.  Do you
attribute your success solely to the coatings, or were their other
factors?

> Agreed.  I built a blast cabinet (easier to buy a $99 special out of
Harbor
> Freight), I had the blast gun, and I went to great lengths to do
everything
> right.  The first time around took days!  Second time was about 4
hours not
> including the blasting.  Seems like the biggest catch in the process
is having
> to clean the cook's oven in order to get permission use it! ; )

My results were the same as yours (minus the computer junk in the
trunk + Playboys).  We spent a full day building our cabinet when a
simple Chinese POS cabinet would have done fine (at least no money
went to buying new AK-47s for the Red Army).  The first set of pistons
took us several hours.  After you get the routine down, it's very easy
work; it's kind of like painting cars.

Regards,
jay