Difference in MAF sensors?

Jay Melton devldog943 at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 25 00:53:27 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce" <nacelp at bright.net>
To: <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 23, 1999 8:58 PM
Subject: Re: Difference in MAF sensors?

> How much longer do you suppose they will be available?.
> Getting a good MAF even after market for a GN is slim any more.

Are you talking new or rebuilt?  I replaced the MAF for the '870 ECM system
a number of months back with a rebuilt.  Not stocked by the parts house of
course, but available within three days.  Considering that MAF is a one year
orphan, I would reasonably expect the 86-89 MAF to be available for some
years to come.

> Might be the time to bite the bullet, and just go to a 1227730 (90-92)
ECM.
> More work, yes, but the MAP as of at least 95 was still in use.

Not a great deal-mainly wiring after acquiring the computer & misc. bits.
Wiring is one of the least of my worries, considering I transplanted this
system into a Jaguar XJ-S, modifying the EFI harness to allow placing the
ECM in the trunk, etc.  I may go that route in the future, but plan to stick
to MAF for the time being.

> Standard Ignition products also show them as different.

I have no doubt there is a difference as my research thus far has shown, I'm
just trying to find out WHAT the difference is and/or if they are
interchangeable.  I recently obtained a '165 ECM and MAF for reasonable
cost, but do have the recently replaced 85 MAF (rebuilt) that I paid a chunk
of money for...

> Bruce

Thanks,

Jay