Oz WB PCBs - now available - Or how I screwed the list

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 25 08:36:50 GMT 2001

Brian L Massey tapped away at the keyboard with:

> On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:58:16 -0700 Andrew Theurer <habanero at us.ibm.com>
> writes:
>
> > People do this all the time.  Linux, Samba, FreeBSD.  The money
> > makers do have some restictions...
>
> Andrew, you should *read* what you typed. You acknowledge above that
> there are 'some restrictions' to the GPL EULA? Restrictions which people
> *have* to obey in order to take advantage of a GPL'd item? Yes, indeed,
> there are!
>
> Hmmm, sounds just like any other EULA to me. Agree to the conditions, or
> you can't make use of the item, unless you're crooked and lacking
> integrity.

GPL doesn't demand that derivative works be covered by GPL. Only
that the end user be given access to, or directed to the original
GPL's content.

> You mean, cynical here, don't you? The restrictions the diyWB team
> placed on usage were very slight (different in nature than the
> GPL, but still quite modest and slight). If the 'gnu free
> software' team can forge a EULA to their purposes, and expect it
> to be obeyed, then so can the diyWB team.

Only as far as is _reasonable_. Well, you could propose the
unreasonable and then wind up with egg on your face when you try to
defend it.

Taking ownership of all "derivative" works from something that
purports to be "in the truest form, for educational purposes" is not
only onerous, but also unreasonable.

--
 /"\  Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia
 \ /      ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!       |