WB discussion and war

Brian L Massey blocklm at juno.com
Thu Oct 25 17:40:57 GMT 2001

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:11:48 -0500 Kevin Wright <krwright at wankel.net>
writes:

> Stop it with the rationalization. It doesn't matter if the EULA is
> legally enforceable or not; the specific language doesn't matter.
> The
> spirit of the agreement is what matters, and if you don't understand
> that spirit, you need to leave. Lawyers may argue about the letter
> of
> the law, but an intelligent man should understand the spirit in
> which
> it was intended. That spirit and intent has been made clear on this
> list many times in just the short time that I've been on it.
> How difficult is it to understand "You will not derive any profit
> from this list's produce"?
>
> Sorry for the length, I'm not as facile in expressing myself as I
> wish I was.:)

Very succinctly put. I personally appreciate your taking the time to
weigh in on the subject. I wish more would; I wasn't a part of the WB
team either, and am in no way trying to speak for them either, but I too
think it's a pretty important issue.

You really put your finger on it: 'the spirit of the agreement is what
matters'. Just so. We need to figure out some practical measures to
prevent this from happening again.

Brian