Oz WB PCBs - now available - Or how I screwed the list

Andrew Theurer habanero at us.ibm.com
Thu Oct 25 17:32:56 GMT 2001

On Wednesday 24 October 2001 01:30 pm, you wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:58:16 -0700 Andrew Theurer <habanero at us.ibm.com>
>
> writes:
> > People do this all the time.  Linux, Samba, FreeBSD.  The money
> > makers do have some restictions...
>
> Andrew, you should *read* what you typed. You acknowledge above that
> there are 'some restrictions' to the GPL EULA? Restrictions which people
> *have* to obey in order to take advantage of a GPL'd item? Yes, indeed,
> there are!

Yes, there are restrictions.  I happen to think the GPL & LGPL rescrictions
are reasonable.  The WB-o2 rescrictions are crazy.  HOWEVER, I will abide by
them.  I will not profit from wb-o2, and I will not keep my improvements, if
any, private.

I think the wb-o2 agreement should be more like the GPL, which people are
allowed to profit if they wish.  Ask Andrew Tridgel how he feels about people
making millions from Samba, and he will tell you he is thrilled.  Why can't
others have that same attitude?  The only real reason I can see Bruce & Co
being pissed about others making a profit, is that they intend to profit at a
later time.  Others cashing in before them may spoil that.

I  do think rescrictions are necessary, but the wb-o2 agreement goes too far.
 People should share improvements because they want to, not because they are
forced to.   Someone making a profit from these works in NO WAY inhitibs
someone from still Doing It Yourself.

-Andrew