DFI revisited

Brian L Massey blocklm at juno.com
Fri Oct 26 00:37:23 GMT 2001

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 20:02:26 -0400 "Bruce" <nacelp at bright.net> writes:

> I thought the dwell was figured in the coils electronics.
> I don't have my eDIST running yet,  so I can't say for sure.
> What a minute, it just uses the ecm for firing the plugs, I'd just
> about bet the dwell control is in the coil.

If these coils are the ones mentioned as 'smart coils' years back, then
didn't someone named Orin test them and IIRC he didn't believe they had
dwell control internally, but rely on the ecm to turn them on & off both
to make sure they have enough dwell, and also not too much; otherwise
they can overheat. I'm *still* at work so I don't have my notes from the
last archive surfing, but that's how I remember it.

I meant to ask Howard where he got the 'charge time' of 4.4ms? Do you
think the source for that number is reliable? If that is correct, and
it's a simple primary inductor saturating in 4.4ms, with a dc resistance
of 1 ohm, then leaving it conducting for two rev's time at idle (HC's
figures are around 30ms per rev, I didn't check the numbers), then isn't
that going to spell trouble? I would think you could have some serious
heat problems.

Better get the notes before I say any more, but a search on Orin and coil
should find the quotes.

Meanwhile, do I have some questions for Bruce! So does the above mean you
now own an eDist? If so (understanding you haven't fired it up yet),
could you tell me how big, heavy, what size it is. What does it look
like. Is it constructed so it looks like it will be OK underhood? Well,
just how is it built? How much $$ was it?

Brian