DFI revisited

Howard Chu hyc at highlandsun.com
Fri Oct 26 01:39:31 GMT 2001

> From: "Bruce" <nacelp at bright.net>
> Subject: Re: DFI revisited
>
> Simple gate logic for when the sensors phase right to start the count to X
> chip.
> I the ought the dewell was figured in the coils electronics.
> I don't have my eDIST running yet,  so I can't say for sure.
> What a minute, it just uses the ecm for firing the plugs, I'd
> just about bet
> the dwell control is in the coil
> Bruce

Ok, that makes sense to me, but I still don't know enough about this coil.
The system I'm replacing had a "smart" ignitor too; the spark signal from
the ECU goes high at some point, stays high for a while, and goes low when
the spark must fire. The ignitor controls how long to actually dwell though,
and can start charging the coil some arbitrary time after the ECU signal
went high.

I was just assuming this smart coil would behave the same way - ECU goes
high, coil can start charging, signal goes low, coil must fire. But if the
coil only needs a "fire" signal, and takes care of dwell completely on its
own, then I can just do this all without any microcontroller, as I had
originally planned. Do you know where I can find more documentation on
operating this coil? Does it just need a momentary +5V pulse to fire?

  -- Howard Chu