DIY_EFI Digest - WB02 fiasco - long

Clare Snyder claresnyder at home.com
Fri Oct 26 02:39:16 GMT 2001

Last things first.
IF I was not on this list, and came across the Oz board by accident, and decided
I wanted to build one of these gizmos - not having the capability of designing
my own board, and not being aware of the availability of the "authorized"
board - what choice would I have? As it is, I saw the Oz board, and originally
thought it WAS the only board available. I put a request to the group to see
what was available and was given a website. I went to that website and ordered 2
boards - thinking they would come from Oz, and at $12 per board he might well be
barely covering costs. I used to pay $6 (Canadian - when Canadian and US were
almost at par)each in lots of 500 for some little adapter boards with a set of
header pins, about 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches that I had custom made for a computer
application about 10 years ago. If I had 10.000 made, the price dropped to about
a buck.

And no, I'm no admirer of either of those hucksters - but when I have to put an
agreement together, I have to look at what someone else MIGHT construe it to
mean. A lot easier to cover your ass on the way in than on the way out. Whatever
you explicitly state tends to over-rule what you imply - and by stating
something is public domain, or free, tends to over-ride, in many peoples
consciousness, what comes after. Rather to overstate the obvious - this product
/ design is the property of *********, even though it is implied by law. Then
you explain how it may be used, by whom, and what recognition/payment if any is
required. Approaching it this way tends to eliminate confusion.
I only look for loopholes in agreements I write, or that are to protect me.
Only crooks and weasels (including lawyers) look for loopholes to squeeze
through.
NOTE***** I'm not making excuses for Peter's actions, or condoning them.
********I'm just saying there are ways of making it more plain what the
intentions are, without giving the weasels holes to peak through.
As far as I am concerned - regardless where I get the board, I am honouring the
terms of the agreement. If I have a board custom made for me by a local PC
manufacturer, at a one-off or 2 off cost of, say $100, someone has made a profit
off of me  - likely a pretty hefty one - but that does not put ME in
contravention of the agreement. Does it put my supplier in contravention? NO.
Not in the spirit, or in the letter. If he then sells copies of the board to
someone else, he has ME to deal with, because at that point it is MY
intellectual property he is stealing (although I do not have the right to make a
profit from it in any way, or claim any credit for it). This is exactly what
happens if you have anything of value produced in HongKong, China, or
Taiwan -don't ask how I know.(Do we add Oz to this list?)

Now, say I am a list member, or not, who wants one of these WB02 sensors, but
I'm a real Klutz with a soldering iron - so I offer to pay another list user to
build mine for me. Is he in contravention if he is paid to assemble it for me?
I would think not. What it comes down to is the ATTITUDE, and the INTENT. It
seems Peter's intent was to make some money, and his attitude was SC%#W YOU!!!
In a blatant display of poor taste and bad judgment, he advertised his
indiscretion on the very list he "dissed". He deserves to be shunned - but those
who availed themselves of his boards should not be ostracized for it unless they
think Peter was within his rights, legally AND morally to do what he did.