calibrating NBs (was Re: DIY_EFI Digest and EULA)

Phil Hunter ilphayunterhay at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 02:51:04 GMT 2001

Clare Snyder wrote:
[snip]

> I'm looking forward to getting the boards, and
> hopefully the parts kits, to build the units - one
> for the aircraft engine project, and the other as a
> portable test/ diagnostic unit.
[snip]

For this aircraft app, a couple of thunks occured to
me, unless you're talking about a turbine, don't most
all aircraft fuels contain lead? Lead kills O2
sensors.

I've heard HEGOs, and I assume the WB sensor (UEGO?)
since they are heated, can be more tolerant of lead
if you wait for them to heat up before starting the
motor, something about lead less likely to stick to
cold surfaces.

This brings up an idear, howzabout using a WB to
"calibrate" a NB, then use the NB instead of the WB,
and dispose of the NB when its fouled? 3-5X cost
savings. Since it's calibrated, the NB can even be
used instead of new for further savings.

Perhaps something like a lawn mower engine can be
used as a simple way to calibrate, make an exhaust
pipe w/ a couple of "bungs" for the sensors, start
datalogging and vary the mixture needle.

I've read here that backpressure and EGT can vary NB
output, so these variables may make this impractical,
but if you can at least measure backpressure, assuming
there is any on an aircraft, then you s/b able to come
up w/ some kind of arrangement in the mower's exhaust
to vary backpressure accordingly.

phil
(digest)