Volumetric efficiency

Camden Lindsay cjl169 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 18:58:20 GMT 2001

How does one go about approximating volumetric efficiency at differet rpms?

I ask because the excellent spreadsheet posted a couple of weeks ago
(turbosize.xls) requires it as input, as does the megasquirt fuel system.

I (think i) know that the VE of a n/a motor is peaky, whereas a forced
induction motor is mutch flatter (??due to less reliance on tuning frequency
of intake/exhaust manifolds, tracts, valves, etc??)

could i use some type of mass meter affixed to the intake of a n/a motor
while running and compute VE using the appx air mov't (volume *rpm/2, i
think)divided by the output of the meter?  Or is there a simpler way which i
am missing?

Thanks for any help
Camden Lindsay