WB Project

Joe Scruggs TA81Joe at home.com
Sat Oct 27 06:01:12 GMT 2001

------=_NextPart_000_02AD_01C15E8A.DF6C5080

First of all, THANKS to ALL who contributed in any way to this project!  =
What an excellent group effort!

This is an example of what a group of people can do with the right =
motivation -- wanting to know how things work; wanting to make things =
better; building and developing rather than just buying; the sharing of =
knowledge AND experience; learning new things; and there are other =
reasons that I'm sure people can add to these.

Another reason people join a group such as this is to simply save money. =
 All of us like to save money, but if that is your ultimate goal for =
being in this group, then it increases the potential for conflict.  Why? =
 Because, that is not the primary motivation of this group.  And I =
believe that leads to the basic reason for the conflict over the OZ =
situation.  I've stayed out of the heated discussion so far, but it =
might be time for all to step back and take another look at the =
situation.  It is usually beneficial to look at any conflict from both =
sides and try to understand the "WHY".  You might not be able to solve =
anything, but it certainly makes it difficult if you don't.

Looking at the OZ side of things, it's easy to see the incentives.  One =
person wants to be paid for his time.  Not much, but a little for his =
time and expertise.  Those that pay him to assemble it, do it for a =
couple of reasons.  Either they do not know how and are not confident =
enough that they can learn without screwing it up  -- or -- they can, =
but they would rather pay someone else to do it, because it's still a =
great deal when considering the design was free.  Normally, there is =
nothing inherently wrong with saving (or making) money, so why the big =
controversy?

Well, let's look at the other side of the issue.  Simply look at their =
motivation.  As for myself, I have 2 boards and am waiting on parts.  I =
contributed nothing but my time reading and purchasing components when =
the time came, but I will benefit greatly due to the contribution of =
others.  The people that DID contribute, ask for nothing in return.  =
They can get satisfaction out of the fact that they were instrumental in =
the project and knowing that others in the group will also know that =
they were.  They have gained and given knowledge.  And, YES, they will =
save much money over a comparable commercial product.  That, however, is =
not their prime motivation.  Look at the contributions throughout the =
group and that appears to be fairly obvious.

So, then you might ask why would they have such a problem with a person =
making a nominal fee for time spent assembling boards for other group =
members?  After all, they paid a board shop to make the boards and that =
company most certainly was paid for its time.  The difference is that =
the board manufacturer did not benefit from the knowledge of the group.  =
They provide a service with equipment that most people do not have =
access to.  Taking that to an even lower level, we cannot make the =
resistors, capacitors or any of the other electronic components.  We had =
to purchase those from someone who could.

Discussion, disagreement and arguing can be productive in the long run, =
but this one seems to be creating an enormous rift that's leaving very =
bad feelings all around.  What can we do to resolve it?  I don't have =
the answer, but a little understanding will help.  Alot of analysis over =
the semantics of agreements, charters or fine print is best left to the =
lawyers.  Let's stick to what makes this group special.

I realize that there are people that have little or no experience =
soldering.  They probably have little or no experience designing boards =
and circuits or spec'ing out oxygen sensors either.  Ask for help!  =
That's what we do when we ask for troubleshooting and tuning tips on =
this list isn't it?  I saw several messages from people offering help =
with construction.  There were multiple suggestions on wattage, tips, =
solder, etc.  Certainly, these people could have gone to a number of =
places and paid to have them assembled without the group ever knowing.  =
The difference was that a member of this group openly offered his =
services for a price, whereas all the other contributors offered their =
services for free.  To all those that contributed their time and =
knowledge for nothing, It doesn't matter what the amount of money the =
other makes.  They were offended (and it showed!).  Whether you agree =
that they deserve to be offended is beside the point as long as you =
understand why they are.

I do not believe there are any bad people in this controversy.  The =
group has some experience with "thieves" of knowledge and are evidently =
on the watch for them.  I believe the intent of the assembly payment was =
not bad -- it just doesn't fit within the "spirit" of this group.  =
Everyone's time is valuable!

Finally -- that was a long $0.02 worth!!!! :)

Joe

------=_NextPart_000_02AD_01C15E8A.DF6C5080

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>First of all, THANKS to ALL who =
contributed in any=20
way to this project!&nbsp; What an excellent group effort!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This is an example of what a group of =
people can do=20
with the right motivation -- wanting to know how things work; wanting to =
make=20
things better; building and developing rather than just buying; the =
sharing of=20
knowledge AND experience; learning new things; and there are other =
reasons that=20
I'm sure people can add to these.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Another reason people join a group such =
as this is=20
to simply save money.&nbsp; All of us like to save money, but if that is =
your=20
ultimate goal for being in this group, then it increases the potential =
for=20
conflict.&nbsp;&nbsp;Why?&nbsp; Because, that is not the primary =
motivation of=20
this group.&nbsp;&nbsp;And I believe that leads to&nbsp;the basic reason =
for the=20
conflict over the OZ situation.&nbsp; I've stayed out of the heated =
discussion=20
so far, but&nbsp;it might be time for all to step back and take another =
look at=20
the situation.&nbsp; </FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It is usually =
beneficial to=20
look at any conflict from both sides and try to&nbsp;understand the =
"WHY".&nbsp;=20
You might not be able to solve anything, but it certainly makes it =
difficult if=20
you don't.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Looking at the OZ side of things, it's =
easy to=20
see&nbsp;the incentives.&nbsp; One person wants to be paid for his =
time.&nbsp;=20
Not much, but a little for his time and expertise.&nbsp; Those that pay =
him to=20
assemble it, do it for a couple of reasons.&nbsp; Either they do not =
know how=20
and are not confident enough that they can learn without screwing it up  =
-- or=20
-- they can, but they would rather pay someone else to do it, because =
it's still=20
a great deal when considering the&nbsp;design was free.&nbsp; Normally, =
there is=20
nothing inherently wrong with saving (or making) money, so why the big=20
controversy?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Well, let's&nbsp;look at the other side =
of the=20
issue.&nbsp;&nbsp;Simply loo</FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>k at their motivation.&nbsp; As for myself, I have&nbsp;2 =
boards and am=20
waiting on parts.&nbsp;&nbsp;I contributed nothing but my time reading =
and=20
purchasing components when the time came, but I will benefit greatly due =
to the=20
contribution of others.&nbsp; The people that DID contribute, ask for =
nothing in=20
return.&nbsp; They can get satisfaction out of the fact that they=20
were&nbsp;instrumental in the project&nbsp;and knowing that others in =
the group=20
will also know&nbsp;that they were.&nbsp; They have gained and given=20
knowledge.&nbsp; And, YES, they will save much money over a comparable=20
commercial product.&nbsp; That, however, is not their prime =
motivation.&nbsp;=20
Look at the contributions throughout the group and that appears to be =
fairly=20
obvious.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So, then you might ask why would they =
have such a=20
problem with a person making a nominal fee for time spent assembling =
boards for=20
other group members?&nbsp; After all, they paid a board shop to make the =
boards=20
and that company most certainly was paid for its time.&nbsp; The =
difference is=20
that the board manufacturer did not benefit from the knowledge of the=20
group.&nbsp; They provide a service with equipment that most people do =
not have=20
access to.&nbsp; Taking that to an even lower level, we cannot make the=20
resistors, capacitors or any of the other electronic components.&nbsp; =
We had to=20
purchase those from someone who could.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Discussion, disagreement and arguing =
can be=20
productive in the long run, but this one seems to be creating an =
enormous rift=20
that's leaving&nbsp;very bad feelings all around.&nbsp; What can we do =
to=20
resolve it?&nbsp; I don't have the answer, but a little understanding =
will=20
help.&nbsp; Alot of analysis over the semantics of agreements, charters =
or fine=20
print is best left to the lawyers.&nbsp; Let's stick to what makes=20
this&nbsp;group special.</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></FONT></FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I realize that there are people that =
have little or=20
no experience&nbsp;soldering.&nbsp; They probably have little or no =
experience=20
designing boards and circuits or spec'ing out oxygen sensors =
either.&nbsp; Ask=20
for help!&nbsp; That's what we do when we ask for troubleshooting and =
tuning=20
tips on this list isn't it?&nbsp; I saw several messages from=20
people&nbsp;offering help with construction.&nbsp; There were multiple=20
suggestions on wattage, tips, solder, etc.&nbsp; Certainly, these people =
could=20
have gone to a number of places and paid to have&nbsp;them assembled =
without the=20
group ever knowing.&nbsp; The difference was that a member of this group =
openly=20
offered his services for a price, whereas all the other contributors =
offered=20
their services for free.&nbsp; To all those that contributed their time =
and=20
knowledge for nothing, It doesn't matter what the amount of money the =
other=20
makes.&nbsp; They were offended (and it showed!).&nbsp; Whether you =
agree that=20
they deserve to be offended is beside the point as long as you =
understand why=20
they are.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I do not believe there are any bad people in this =
controversy.&nbsp; The=20
group has some experience with "thieves" of knowledge and are evidently =
on the=20
watch for them.&nbsp; I believe the intent of the assembly payment was =
not bad=20
-- it just doesn't fit within the "spirit" of this group.&nbsp; =
Everyone's time=20
is valuable!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Finally -- that was a long $0.02 worth!!!! :)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Joe</DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_02AD_01C15E8A.DF6C5080--