off topic email

Arnaud Westenberg arnaud at wanadoo.nl
Sat Oct 27 07:43:43 GMT 2001

steve ravet wrote:

>> Although I haven't contributed to this list, and this may take a
>> while as well, I think I do have the right to express my opinions.

> But somehow you do have the right to express your opinion.

Besides privately, I also want to respond in public.

I'm sorry you stumble over a few ill chosen words as the rest of my
message was obviously intended to change the discussion into a more
constructive one.

My message was about finding ways to avoid problems with these kind of
contributions in the future. Although I didn't use 'EFI' in it,
discussing problems concerning contributions is not only in the interest
of the list but also 100% _on_ topic, unless you think that these kind
of contributions shouldn't be on the list in the first place.

> Months ago there was some confusion as to what Bruce's license really
> meant.  His position has been made perfectly clear.  Some may not like
> it but you can't change it.  Further discussion has degenerated into
> insults and vague threats.  It serves no purpose and is off topic.
> Keep it private.

I agree that the mud-slinging should stay off the list however it is
obvious that a (constructive) discussion about rights/restrictions of
contributions is needed and in the interest of the list. If not, history
will repeat itself, maybe with far worse consequences if someone realy
did make a major investment for it.

> When someone gets around to creating the condensed version of this
> month's archive this  WB license thread and related threads will be
> deleted.  That's a good indication that they should never have been
> posted in the first place.

Again, as far as the mud-slinging concerns I agree. Deleting the more
constructive messages is simply denial, asking for the same to happen again.

I'm clueless as to why you chose my, obviously constructive, message to
intervene on the current discussion, there  have been far more
appropriate messages for that.

___

Arnaud