Rotaries: was Buick V6

David Randall davidra at windows.microsoft.com
Mon Oct 29 19:39:06 GMT 2001

Hmm, above 300 HP, a 13B two rotor rotary engine won't "warp".  The term
"housing" can be applied to the side housings / end plates, or the rotor
housings (fat figure 8 part).

Warpage usually occurs when the engine is overheated.  The materials
used in the side housings are different than those used in the rotor
housing.  As temperatures rise, the expansion of these different
materials occurs at a different rate.  That differential usually causes
some type of warpage, or will allow enough of a gap inbetween the two
housings to let the coolant seal become compromised (exposed to
combustion).

High HP won't necessarily overheat the engine, but a poorly designed
system will cause overheating.

Another possible "warpage" story would be the warpage of a 3 or 4 rotor
eccentric shaft (think crankshaft).  In that case, high horsepower would
cause too much stress on a poorly designed shaft.  Some early 3 or 4
rotor shafts were built up from 2 rotor shafts and welded together.
Given the fact that a 3 rotor engine with full engine management and
turbos can produce up to 800-900 HP, you could see why a welded together
eccentric shaft could become warped.

But, run of the mill 13B and 12A rotaries don't usually warp from HP,
they warp from overheating.

HTH

Dave Randall