Rotaries: was Buick V6

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Mon Oct 29 21:51:37 GMT 2001

Not going to get in a flamefest here but as HP rises the amount of
deflection, *warpage* always increases.  Fact of life.
Take some iron monster like a 426 Hemi and put dial indicator on opposite
corners of the engine and go to max HP, you can read as much as 3/4"
warpage/distorsion, whatever.  If in doubt call Dick Landy, I'm sure he
remembers the testing.

As an engines HP increases, it generates more BTUs.   As you mentioned the
different materials expand at different rates, so yes they do distort more,
and a rotary isn't at all forgiving on being overheated stock or in LeMans
trim.
Bruce

From: "David Randall" <davidra at windows.microsoft.com>
Subject: Rotaries: was Buick V6