6 wire O2 sensor?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 30 02:31:28 GMT 2001

Shannen Durphey tapped away at the keyboard with:
> Bernd Felsche wrote:
> > Any pin-outs/wire colours known for heater, pump and Nernst cells?
> >
> > We _can_ get these sensors in Australia. About AUD$300 + GST retail IIRC.

> So, Bernd...
>
> There have been a few posts in the past regarding these sensors.
> I've had one sitting next to my desk since about July, when I
> posted the original request for information.

> Funny, I just pulled the cover off the connector again and looked
> at the cal.  resistor.  Even pulled out the DVOM for a
> measurement.
>
> And about a month ago I pulled the cover off the control box/ data
> acquisition unit that it's supplied with, just for a look see.
>
> I'm surprised you waited this long to decide to become interested.

I didn't notice your previous mention of the sensor. Maybe you
mentioned it on another list. Maybe I was too busy with other things
at the time. Having just checked my archives, I haven't noticed
and pushed it aside for later examination.

I've been trying to get (more) data on the wideband Bosch sensors
for over a year. I have some more data now; most of which is on the
DDL web page, as much as I'm willing to stick my neck out without
breaking any laws. (e.g. I'm not including SAE papers, or chapters
from books.)

So; how is the sensor wired to the plug? What's "common" that isn't
on the NTK/NGK? Is the cal resistor(-) common with heater(-)?

Careful with the multimeter; the Nernst cell can only take
continuous DC of < 10uA.

I've (very) recently found that the Bosch LSU controller uses the
Nernst cell resistance to determine sensor temperature and
apparently to regulate heater voltage. (This is one of the
strategies already proposed for DDL.)

--
 /"\  Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia
 \ /      ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!       |