MegaSquirt MAP Failure

Alan Barrow abarrow at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 30 02:31:31 GMT 2001

Brian writes:

> Having said that, it seems the reality of the situation is that the
> controller itself is probably as likely to fail as that single sensor
> (the Motorola sensors are not mechanical, but just another 'chip', so
> they probably aren't much different rel than any other 'chip' onboard),

I agree.

That said, my current thinking is that a simple MAP watchdog routine would
be pretty easy to implement. Just do what they do for O2 sensors: if you do
not see variation in reading for some period, then declare it dead and go
into limp home mode. (Turn on the check engine LED?)

For the Megasquirt, I like the idea of a limp home map based on TPS
mentioned earlier. Since the main application I see for the Megasquirt is a
hard core offroad vehicle (Pinzgauer), provisions for limp home appeal to me
quite a bit. No AAA 25 miles (or further) into the woods!

Have fun!

Alan