Rotaries: was Buick V6

bill.shurvinton at nokia.com bill.shurvinton at nokia.com
Tue Oct 30 08:26:55 GMT 2001

Hi All,

Sorry to have started something here. Anyway, a 2 rotor, all up and wet,
should weight about 250lbs. And yes, everyone has a story about a rotary
blowing up a xxxHP. Likewise if you try and push a stock boinger without
understanding the engineering implications you will blow it up too.

Why I like it:

1. In 2-rotor form it is lighter than most small engines (bar K-series
as fitted to elise)

2. In a 1200lb car more than 250HP on road legal tyres is just silly.

3. The rotary is compact and has a very beneficial effect on the polar
moment of the car, centering much of the mass around the driveshaft.
This means better handling, which is what the car is about.

4. Westfields do not make great drag racers. low 11's or high 10's is
the best you will get.

5. Pop a buick V8 (aka rover) in my car and it becomes loopy fast, but
the balance is completely altered. Some like this, some don't. I prefer
my cars not to wash out  at the first sign of a fast corner.

Bill