6 wire O2 sensor?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 30 08:53:19 GMT 2001

I wrote earlier:
> Shannen Durphey tapped away at the keyboard with:
> > Bernd Felsche wrote:
> > > Any pin-outs/wire colours known for heater, pump and Nernst cells?
> > >
> > > We _can_ get these sensors in Australia. About AUD$300 + GST retail IIRC.

> > Funny, I just pulled the cover off the connector again and looked
> > at the cal.  resistor.  Even pulled out the DVOM for a
> > measurement.

> > And about a month ago I pulled the cover off the control box/ data
> > acquisition unit that it's supplied with, just for a look see.

[snip]

> I've been trying to get (more) data on the wideband Bosch sensors
> for over a year. I have some more data now; most of which is on the
> DDL web page, as much as I'm willing to stick my neck out without
> breaking any laws. (e.g. I'm not including SAE papers, or chapters
> from books.)
>
> So; how is the sensor wired to the plug? What's "common" that isn't
> on the NTK/NGK? Is the cal resistor(-) common with heater(-)?
>
> Careful with the multimeter; the Nernst cell can only take
> continuous DC of < 10uA.

[snip]

Recently (this afternoon) found some more info.

Nominal Nernst _cell_ resistance (measured by alternating square wave
of 1 to 4kHz) is 80 ohms, at a _cell_ temperature of 750 degrees C
when new...

In case you're still wondering how those pins are connected,
the pinouts and wires for an LSU 4.2 are as follows:

			Likely
Pin	Wire	Symbol	Function Description
---	------	------	-------- -------------------
  1	black	Re+	Vs+	 Nernst voltage
  2	green	Rt	Rcal	 Calibration (trim) resistor
  3	grey	H+	H+	 Heater + (Vbatt)
  4	white	H-	H-	 Heater pulse
  5	yellow	IPN	Ip-/Vs-	 Virtual ground
  6	red	APE	Ip+      Pump current

Please VERIFY that this is correct before you play with the sensor!

Shannen,
Is the other side of the calibration resistor also common to the
virtual ground pin or the heater pulse?

I should be able to find some matching connectors at a VAG dealer.
Part numbers to follow.

--
 /"\  Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia
 \ /      ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!       |