Airflow calculation with restrictor plate.

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 30 23:58:34 GMT 2001

Stephen Webb tapped away at the keyboard with:

> I'm looking for equations that relate the restrictor cross
> section, and the pressure before and after the restrictor to the
> flow through the restrictor.
>
> So far the information I have found on this suggests that I am
> trying to simplify it too much.

The equations are simple if the flow through the orifice plate is
steady. Also, flow is assumed to be otherwise laminar, with entry
and exit straights of 5 and 20 (IIRC) diameters or more,
respectively.

That's fine for an engine running on a static test bed where there's
room for the necessary lengths and damping. Or even for flow meter
calibration where airflow is sourced from a blower for example.

--
 /"\  Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia
 \ /      ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!       |