What went wrong with the Aussie WB Buy?

Brian L Massey blocklm at juno.com
Tue Sep 4 18:57:33 GMT 2001

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000 13:59:03 -0400 "Bruce" <nacelp at bright.net> writes:

> Did you read the user's agreement?.
> That set the conditions, your opinon about them is meaningless.
> People either say, yes or no.
> It's just that simple.
>
> Pity some folks still can't grasp that
> Bruce

Had some private email with one person who tried to play lawyer and
weasel around what you have already written up in the EULA (end-user
license agreement). I won't mention that person's name, but his initials
are GM. :)

In light of recent events, you might want to consider adding a few more
sentences to the original user's agreement, giving examples of what
should be obvious. I know you can't plug every little wormhole that
someone might try to wriggle thru, but lots of people think that a
"gnu"-style agreement (which *does* allow for post-facto "value-added"
commercialization) is the only form of "freeware" agreement. Might be
nice to have a little more thorough explanation, since this "perpetual
charitable project" idea is different from that, and (apparently) so hard
to understand for some people. Just a suggestion.

BTW, I really appreciate the time (and blows) you guys have taken to
defend this approach. It has really helped me personally to get clarified
in my own mind what would be satisfactory for me personally, if I ever
had a project I wanted to bequeath to the world. Not sure I would bother,
though. What a *pain*!

Brian