What went wrong with the Aussie WB Buy?

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Tue Sep 4 20:05:18 GMT 2001

David Hunt wrote:

> I don't know what the exchange rate is but $5 US to fill
> out the paperwork, order, count and etc. is really quite reasonable.

Please be sure to forward the $5 US to the people who did the original design
and developement work on the WB.  They are not asking for money and have
specifically said "no money is due."  But if you absolutely feel that you can
pay $5 above and beyond the cost of the project parts, please consider
supporting the originators of the DIY-WB

 Though I do believe a man should not be required to give his time for free, I
do not accept the position that someone can volunteer to provide a service which
was not specifically asked of him, then ask to make a profit on that service,
without sending any portion of the profit to the originators of the product he's
distributing.

In addition, the user's agreement specifically set forth with the WB was that it
be "not for profit."  That means not for thousands of dollars profit, not for
hundreds of dollars profit, and not for a penny.  The terms and conditions were
given in the beginning.  If they could not be adhered to, well, the offer for
the group buy should never have been made.  This is not about changing the rules
after the fact.

If you cannot follow the laws of the road, you do not get a driver's license.
If you cannot adhere to the terms of a contract, you cannot keep a job.
If you cannot stick to the terms of a mortgage, you cannot have a home.
Why is it any different with the terms of the DIY-WB?

If you would like a WBO2, and you feel that paying extra is not a problem,
contact the people responsible for the US buy and work out a deal to have parts
shipped to you.  Do not be afraid to offer extra money for their time and
effort, as they may need it.  I'm sure you'll find they are at least as
reasonable as Peter, and they are definitely due a few dollars already.

But keep in mind that this issue is only out in the public eye to create a
stir.  This is the DIY-EFI equivalent of the National Enquirer.  The people who
are really in the business of stealing projects will be quietly offering a
product for sale while the list is busy screaming over this little publicity
stunt.

Shannen