The list is busy screaming ..

Brian L Massey blocklm at juno.com
Wed Sep 5 00:49:49 GMT 2001

On Wed, 05 Sep 2001 08:15:09 +1000 Peter Gargano <peter at techedge.com.au>
writes:
> It's just not possible to be so
> prescriptive
> in life and I reject that attitude.

Peter, Peter, you're an intelligent guy, it's awful to watch you poke
your thumbs in your eyes like this!

Here's your "clear cut line". You aren't some disinterested party like a
PCB mfg. or UPS driver. You're a list member, about to benefit from the
generosity of a team of it's members. All they have said is, "if you want
to use this intellectual goodie, you agree to exclude yourself from the
category of a disinterested party or mere hired hand". No monetary
compensation for interested parties like you and me, or anyone who wants
to own a diy-wb, let alone be more widely involved in the project. No
quid pro quo, except a sincere thanks and well-done. Attaboys is all the
wages we can earn from this project. Not so some anonymous pcb or
delivery co. They aren't interested in a diy-wb, couldn't care less,
don't benefit from the intellectual property, wouldn't know a wideband o2
sensor from a wideband radio. Not the same as you & me. Clear
distinction. Because we're in line for the goodie itself, in order to get
it, we have to agree to no monetary or commercial interests in it. No
inconsistency there.

An obvious intent of the agreement was to avoid any questionable mixtures
of interested parties who also play some commercial or monetary role.
Preventing people from wearing both hats has a lot of merit. That's I
trust why BobR from the beginning said the boards would be "at cost".

Face it, Peter. You're not rejecting an impossible or inconsistent
condition, you are simply rejecting a straight-forward usage agreement.
Now if you continue along this line of crippled thinking, pretty soon
you're going to have to pry your fingers loose of the goodie itself,
because if you refuse the agreement, you can't even *build* the circuit,
let alone buy a board, not if your name and reputation means anything to
you.

Think about the prospects of not even being able to honestly build a
diy-wb of your own nor discuss its usage, and I think you'll find a way
to come to your senses. :)  Hope so. I'd hate for you to be left behind
and miss out on the fun to come. I'm personally looking forward to
sharing in the experiences of a whole bunch of diy-wb users. Where else
can you get that? Mine's almost wired. Yahoo!

Think about it.

Your friend,
Brian