DIY-WB... It's alive...

Richard Wakeling kojab at optushome.com.au
Wed Sep 5 00:55:46 GMT 2001

    As far as I am aware all the Aussie ECM/PCM have 450 mV output. A cold O2
sensor has an extremely high impedance so it does not pull this 450 mV down. As
the O2 gets hotter and begins to produce a voltage its impedance quickly falls
allowing the O2 voltage to overcome this 450mV bias.
    If any instrument (Some 10 led O2 displays) is connected to the O2 circuit
that does not have extremely high input impedance it will pull this 450 mV bias
down. If this was to occur when the engine is WARM but the O2 sensor is COLD the
integrator will think the engine is lean and unnecessary fuel will be added until
the O2 has reached its ready state.
    So If you have a vehicle that runs poorly when you first start it, make sure
you have nothing hanging on the O2 circuit pulling it down.

Cheers Richard