Stoich is.....

k1drbar k1drbar at pacbell.net
Fri Sep 7 06:21:52 GMT 2001

I had a chem prof that gave what I thought was an excellent demonstration of what stoichiometric
really means.  When we arrived to the lecture there was an array of Coke bottles (glass ... I think
I am dating myself here ;) arranged across the podium.  During class he explained that the first
bottle was filled with pure oxygen ... he uncorked the bottle and held a lit match to the mouth ...
not much of anything happened.  Later he explained that the second bottle was filled with pure
hydrogen gas ... he opened this and lit it with a match ... the gas burned slowly enough so that you
could watch the flame front burn down the bottle.  The third bottle had a 1:1 mixture of H2 and O2
... which whistled when ignited.  The last bottle had a 2:1 ratio of H2 to O2 ... and it was
apparent that the bottle was wrapped with tape.  When this mixture was ignited the gas burned
quickly enough to make a fairly loud report in the lecture hall ...

While you are correct that ignoring any losses past the rings or valves and such, whatever goes in
comes out, the actual ratios of the components does matter ...

Steve Buchholz
San Jose, CA (USA)