WB O2 mixture gauge & 56 cubic inch engines

Eric Bryant BRYANTE at ghsp.com
Mon Sep 10 17:14:19 GMT 2001

> From: Dave Edge [mailto:edgedj at yahoo.com]
> Subject: Re: WB O2 mixture gauge & 56 cubic inch engines
>
> Is there anyone on the list who has an EFI engine as
> small as my 56 ci. I'd be interested since, there must
> be some common pitfalls for such small EFI
> conversions.

I've got a 61 cid motorcycle (Suzuki TL1000R) that's injected from the
factory.  It runs like crap at lower speeds, primarly because of the
induction that's required to produce high specific output (big cams, big
intake ports, big throttle bodies, really big exhaust primaries).  That, and
the hardware doesn't seem to be developed to the level of, say, Honda's
VFR800 or CBR929 (both of which now *finally* incorporate closed-loop
technology, as the EPA is starting to crack down on bikes).

I'm not sure that there's a lot of pitfalls involved with injecting an
engine like this, unless it's tuned for high specific output.  In that case,
there's going to be some of the same problems you get with tweaked big
engines - low air velocity at low speeds, the difficulty in delivering
accurate amount of fuel throughout the rev range (my TL uses two injectors
per cylinder to help out), and of course trying to find properly-sized
components.

Eric Bryant
mailto:bryante at ghsp.com
http://www.bryantperformance.com