EGT and O2 sensors time resolution

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 13 05:55:38 GMT 2001

Bruce tapped away at the keyboard with:
>From: "Bernd Felsche" <bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au>
>>Bruce tapped away at the keyboard with:
>>>From: "Bernd Felsche" <bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au>

>>>Let's try the math on a v8 at 7,000 rpm single exhaust and sensor.

>>Let's.
>>You deserve all you get choking a V8 through only one exhaust! :-)

>Swing by sometime, I'll take ya for a ride in a choked v8.
>10 msec is wayyyy to slow to identify individual cylinder firings,
>on the above example.  At over hig cruise speed your game is over.

You will find that most O2 sensors are slower than 10 ms. 100ms is
around the "age" limit for sensors. O2 sensors aren't typically used
to identify individual cylinder firings (it's useful if they can).
O2 sensors are used to maintain _average_ mixture to be compatible
with emission-control eqt and requirements.

Why is 10ms _wayyyy_ too slow?
Sure; 2ms would be nicer and _easier_. 10ms isn't _impossible_.

How long does the gas take to travel from the valve to the sensor?
Maybe 10ms, depending on geometry?

>>>How so?.

>>By eliminating the operational "safety" margins that are necessary
>>because you're not measuring those quantities under actual, ambient
>>conditions. i.e. fuelling and timing doesn't have to be as
>>conservative to avoid excessive temperatures and emissions which
>>might occur under worst-cse (or tuning session) conditions.
>>The engine is operated under best-case conditions as far as is
>>possible under ambient conditions given the physical engineering
>>constraints.

>So your comparison is for a none tuned to conditions engine to a
>closed loop system.  the limits are with the engine not the tuning.

I don't assume that the whole world will operate the same way as
during tuning.

You may be able to control
  1. fuel quality (density, temperature as well as chemistry)
  2. air quality (including density, moisture content, O2
     concentration, impurities)
  3. engine and ambient temperatures
  4. engine load

I can't. So I'd prefer closed-loop control to dynamically tune the
measurable quantities to the known physical properties inherent in
the engine design.

--
 /"\  Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia
 \ /      ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!       |