Modifying/fabricating manifold for injectors?

Stephen Webb swebb at netlab.uky.edu
Mon Sep 24 04:28:42 GMT 2001

> Does anyone have suggestions for mounting  mechanical (K-jectronic)
> injectors in an existing manifold? Or even a fabricated manifold?

On VWs, Audis, Volvos and the like there are injector inserts that screw
into the {head/manifold} which cradle the injector / injector o-ring,
holding it tight and pointing it in the right direction.  Some of these
inserts are brass, and some plastic.  I paid about $1-$3 each for them
when I rebuilt my head.

If I were trying to fit K-jet on to a manifold, I would drill + tap a hole
for these inserts, and screw them in.  The limiting factor will probably
be the amount of "meat" you have to drill / tap.  You may have luck
building up some material by welding / other trickery.

There are two basic types of K-jet injectors.  Air shrouded and
old-school.  I'm pretty sure the inserts are different for the two types,
and in the interest of simplicity I would recommend sticking with the
old-school (non air shrouded) style.  The air shrouded ones require a
second o-ring (and third?) , and some more fancy inesrts with air
passages, etc. (I think).  I believe the air shrouded type help fuel
economy a bit, and perhaps improve power somewhat.  That probably isn't so
important for your app.

You can identify the air shrouded injectors by the little cap that is
present at the spraying end.  The non air shrouded types don't have any
such decoration at the end.  I'm not sure if the two types of injectors
are otherwise the same, but I have been known to turn an air-shrouded
injector into a non air shrouded injetor by removing the cap.

Good luck.

-Steve