ECU for 14k rpm V8

Lasse Langwadt Christensen langwadt at ieee.org
Thu Sep 27 03:35:55 GMT 2001

Chris Waltham wrote:

> >Formula 1 and Cart use V10  and V8 engines (respectively, if I remember
> >correctly)
>
> The limit for F1 engines is 3 liters in capacity and 10 cylinders per engine.
> They're naturally-aspirated, whereas I believe CART cars are
> twin-turbocharged V8s.
>
> >They are 1.5-2.5 litres in displacement or something like that.  Quite
> >oversquare (which the original poster noted, I believe).  I think the Cart
> >engines hit 14k RPM (turbocharged?) and the F1 engines hit 17-18k rpm if
> >memory serves.
>
> Most of the F1 engines redline around 18,000rpm, though I believe Mercedes
> are working on a new engine which may surpass 20,000rpm.

a few years ago they all started to use V10's, now they all want to go
back to
V12's and afiak toyota had already more or less build a V12 for their
debut,
when the rules were change so that it had to be 10 cylinders

> For the current
> Mercedes engine, it's 2998cc with a bore of 91.00mm and a stroke of 46.09mm.
> It's a 72-degree layout, incidentally. The most common layouts are 72 and
> 90 degrees, though Renault are working on a 111-degree layout, but are having
> problems with vibration and rigidity

as far as I understand it they went for 110-degrees to get a very low
motor, but
now the motor is so low that it isn't really stiff enough i more than
one
direction

> Interestingly, F1 engines used to be very small-capacity (this is going back
> a decade or two), with less cylinders but with turbocharging. There was a
> particular BMW engine that was, I thinkm 1.5 liters in displacment, was in
> a V-6 configuration and pumped out some 1,200bhp in qualifying trim. I think
> it was running about 4 bar of boost pressure, though.. I'm told it could
> wheelspin the entire way down the track in top gear if one were so inclined.
> I believe that the FIA later limited turbo boost levels to 3 bars or so, and
> later outlawed it altogether. They were truly amazing things, though..
>
> Chris

I think the rules allowed 3.5 liter na or 1.5 liter with boost, until
Reanult (?) started using turbo's, that made sense

The BMW was actually a straight four based on the 2 litre production
engine
from the bmw2002, and I've heard they only used engine blocks that had
already
done 200,000km normal running, the idea being that all stresses etc. in
would
then be gone.

They really didn't know how much power it made because their dyno only
went
to 1200HP and it had more, I think it was at something like 5 bar, but
it was only for qual. so it only had to last a few laps

when the rules changed limiting boost, the higher rev'ing V6's took over

-Lasse
-- Lasse Langwadt Christensen,
-- A Dane in Phoenix, Arizona