ECU for 14k rpm V8

Tlsalt at aol.com Tlsalt at aol.com
Thu Sep 27 20:26:32 GMT 2001

Eric Bryant wrote:

I wish I could have seen an F1 race during the turbo era.  The NA cars
aren't exactly boring, though - those cars are just unbelievably fast and
very loud.  The shreek from a V10 spinning at 18k should send shivers up the
spine of any gearhead.

Hello Eric,

    Even better was the sound of the backfires on trailing throttle bouncing
off the tall buildings in downtown Detroit.  The new motors are wild, but I
now wear ear plugs, and back then we had Senna, Rosberg, Piquet and Lauda,
three foot wide slicks, etc...........  it was a different game.
    Boost pressures were not limited until 1987 at 4.0 bar and 1988 at 2.5
bar.  I have often wondered about the throttle body location.  There was only
one throttle ahead of the KKK turbo and the rest of the intake was a large
plenum with four timed, mechanical injectors firing at 440 psi directly into
the center of individual trumpets.  I saw all three versions and they were
all set up this way.  None of the other turbo engines used this layout (maybe
the first single turbo Renault), most had individual throttles close to the
intake ports.   The BMW was famous for turbo lag, but lousy fuel consumption
compared to the Honda did it in.  The Honda's computer was lowering boost,
advancing ignition, heating the fuel and heating the air once in front to
raise BFSC, while the BMW kept belching flames and burning rubber all race
long.  The BMW was much more fun to watch.
    The turbo was bigger than your head, the motor weigh 364 lbs and the
turbo was 44 lbs. of that......

Paul Saltwick