Correct A:F Ratio @ WOT?

Jeff Bromberger blownz at home.com
Fri Sep 28 03:05:40 GMT 2001

i realize this wasn't directed at me... but what the hell!

i'd want it on a chassis dyno so that more of the real conditions will apply
(drivetrain load, cooling system, exhaust system, intake system,
intercooler, etc...)    obviously the dyno will be giving you power
numbers... beyond that, the more diagnostics the better - AFR, EGT on each
cylinder, knock sensor, plus the obvious ones (coolant temp, air intake
temp, oil temp, etc...) and of course the black art of plug reading...
Smokey Yunick once said that there's probably only a handful of guys in the
world that REALLY know how to read plugs... but any time you go to the track
everybody's got their opinion...

i'd say, though, that the ideal tuning program varies hugely between and
individual hot rodder and a racer... for example, last time i was at the
dyno the operator was telling me how he has customers that come in and
purposely blow their motors... they keep pushing it to find out what the
limits are, then they rebuild it and back it off a bit...  personally, i'd
kill myself if i blew up my brand new motor on the dyno... but i'm not
trying to squeeze EVERY last hp out of it... i can make compromises for
reliability...