ECU for 14k rpm V8

Eric Fahlgren efahl at adams.com
Fri Sep 28 10:48:25 GMT 2001

Matt Beaubien wrote:

> As Bruce mentioned, there may be a TB after the turbo, though I somewhat
> doubt it as I don't think they had electronic TB's in those days...

I keep looking at the picture and changing my mind as to what all those
little things are on the plenum and other plumbing.  I'm fairly convinced
that it only had the on pre-turbo TB, though.

> The turbo could have had a different style of seal that doesn't pass oil
> under vacuum.  There's factory cars out there with carbs/TB's before the
> turbos.

I think the last Turbonetics catalog made a big point of still having
draw-through capable turbos, Rajays with carbon seals, if I recall.
I don't think they had 5:1 pressure ratio capability, though. :)

> One advantage to the TB before the TB is perhaps less lag after lifting the
> throttle?  Think of what happens when you block the suction to a vacuum
> cleaner--the electric motor speeds up because the mass flow rate has gone
> down.  Thoughts?

Yeah, see my response to Greg's post.  I'll bet that his idea about
keeping the turbo out of surge was the overriding consideration, after
having thought about it for a minute now.  The anti-lag induced by
TB placement was probably the clincher for their decision to place
it pre-turbo.

Eric

--
Eric Fahlgren                            Mechanical Dynamics, Inc
efahl at adams.com                          Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA