TPS based boost control?

Eric Fahlgren efahl at adams.com
Fri Sep 28 10:56:29 GMT 2001

Jeff Bromberger wrote:

> I'm really keen on the feature that the Autronic ECU has where you can vary
> the wastegate control according to TPS... does anyone make a boost
> controller that allows some kind of extra control like this?  or has anyone
> modified one of the electronic units to have TPS switch between two boost
> presets, for example?   sure would be cool to have 500hp at 50% 700hp at 70%
> and 900hp at 90% !!!  would help quite a bit on the street at least...

Oh, yeah.  I've got an SMC sitting on the bench at home, ostensibly
to go into my daily driver, but I'm currently changing my mind about
this and will probably put it in my turbo car.  The turbo car is a
2.2l Audi I5 with a T04E50, which is pretty laggy.  The boost comes
on like a hammer over a 500 rpm range, jumping from 4-5 psig to 15-17
in no time at all.  As you can imagine, this is quite disconcerting
if you are trying to flow smoothly behind traffic from a stop light,
say.

The TPS-based boost seems to me to be just the ticket for this,
keep the boost/torque down with moderate throttle openings, and
then let it run when you open it up.

Don't forget the other nice things about having the boost controller
in the ECU: boost can be limited when the engine is too cold or
too hot; it can be varied over the rpm range giving a flatter
torque curve; the ignition system can interact directly with the
boost control and respond sooner; the fuel system can interact
witht boost and perform anti-lag.  One brain makes a lot of sense.

--
Eric Fahlgren                            Mechanical Dynamics, Inc
efahl at adams.com                          Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA