F1, trickle-down, etc.

TVS tkmvs at bigfoot.com
Sat Sep 29 12:18:15 GMT 2001

>> What impresses me is the valve acceleration that the F1 engines run. The
valves move so fast that valvesprings are simply to slow to close them (a
spring takes time to decompress even without load).

Yes, of what I've read it's the valve gear on a F1 engine which is the
current limiting factor. Two years ago Ferrari where using a 96mm bore and
Ford a 91mm. These represent the largest and smallest. Piston accelerations
where between 77,000 and 90,000 m/sec^2!
Toby