F1, trickle-down, etc.

Eric Bryant eric at bryantperformance.com
Sat Sep 29 12:44:10 GMT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Kurt Heintz <KHeintz at t-online.de>
Subject: Re: F1, trickle-down, etc.

>> So out of curiosity, how do they handle this problem?  What's the
>> limiting factor for further increasing the max RPM, anyway?
>
>The valvessprings are pneumatic springs!

Yep - Renault has used this system in the past (I don't remember if it's
still legal in F1), and Ducati was rumored to be working on it for their
next-gen Superbike.  Basically, the tappet traps a pocket of air underneath
it, and that's the valvespring.  Of course, you need to make sure you've got
a source of compressed air to keep the valves closed upon start-up, and
that's where Ducati was running into problems.  Loose your air supply, and
the valves all drop - that's probably going to result in a warranty return;)

Eric Bryant                      Grand Haven, MI
mailto:eric at bryantperformance.com
www.bryantperformance.com