F1, trickle-down, etc.

Tlsalt at aol.com Tlsalt at aol.com
Sun Sep 30 22:44:13 GMT 2001

Brian Dessent wrote:

So assuming for the moment that the volumetric efficiency is the
limiting factor, does this imply that a super/turbocharged engine would
redline at a higher RPM due to the forced induction?  (I realize of
course that turbos are no longer allowed in F1, I'm just curious about
the general theory of what limits RPM.)

Hello Brian:

Yes, if you accept the cylinder filling theory, a turbo could be used to
solve that problem, but I doubt you'll see any 3L F1 turbos.  Ultimately the
limitation will be mechanical failure from high piston speeds and the load at
TDC on the exhaust stroke, when the rod, piston or pin will break.  Smaller
parts mean smaller loads and therefore higher speeds.  However, a 60 cylinder
3L engine would weigh too much and probably have high friction loses
offsetting the gains.

Paul Saltwick