programming for a MAF based system

les lesd at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 6 07:09:52 GMT 2002

Perry,
I was under the impression that the MAF sensors , because of the way the
air
molecules are being measured by the hot wire, already compensate for the
thin air encountered at altitude.
Also, my whole reason of going to MAF instead of speed density was to
avoid
the whole VE mess. You need VE for a speed density system, because it
has no
idea of the actual grams/sec air going into the motor. It only has a
'guess'
that when combined with the VE at a particular RPM results in a more
accurate air intake amount.

I'd like to richen the mixture under boost, and I think I can do that
based on the table that I would use for the MAF, with an rpm lookup.

My system will run a turbo air-cooled VW engine, and for now I want to
keep the ignition out of ECU, or maybe just provide an analog voltage to

a Crane ignition system, to retard under load. Keeping it as simple as
possible means that I would actually build it, and it would still be
better than a carb, I would think :-)

My biggest concern is that I don't know the output curve for the Bosch
MAF I have. I can always get the engine running at idle by adjusting
a rich-lean knob I would have as an analog input to the ECU, as a tuning
aid. But I don't want to have to define the curve by a trial and error
method, all the way up the curve, it's too tricky. maybe I can assume
it's a hyperbolic curve, and start with that?

Thanks for the info, I'm learning more each post!

-Les