Oxygen sensors...

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Tue Apr 9 07:28:49 GMT 2002

Ron Schroeder wrote:

> Are you infering that there are some narrow band O2 sensors that are NOT
> 14.7:1 AFR?

I seem to have remembered reading about this somewhere, but I can't seem
to find it now.  It might have been in a SAE paper that I was browsing
through.  So I think it's possible, but I don't know if any manufacturer
does it, since the application is not clear.

BTW, I'm sure a lot of you on the list have heard this but O2 sensors
don't actually sense oxygen at all.  Actually, they do, but not until
you get them up to 800 - 900 dC, which is way hotter than most any
exhaust gas.  At normal temps (say 300-500 dC) they are sensing hydrogen
and carbon monoxide, but the end result is the same as sensing O2,
apparently, and so for most purposes it doesn't really matter what it is
they are physically sensing.  See sae paper 920289, by four guys from
the EPA who discovered this.

Brian