Propane/water/alcohol injection and O2 sensors

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 9 07:43:28 GMT 2002

At 11:37 AM 3/29/02, Geddes, Brian J wrote:
>All -
>
>I'm contemplating a propane injection system for my car, but don't know how
>O2 sensors (Wideband and standard) will react to the presence of propane in
>the exhaust mixture.  Will a gasoline/propane mix influency the
>accuracy/lifespan of O2 sensors?  I have the same concerns about
>water/alcohol injection and the O2 sensors.  Any experience or theories
>here?
>
>Thanks,
>- Brian

No bad effects on the sensors from ANY of the above mentioned. BUT--best to
consider a WBO2 as a LAMBDA sensor rather than a F/A ratio sensor when
using any "different" fuels. With methanol, ethanol, or propane, stoich
(lamdba = 1) occurs at very different NUMERICAL A/F ratios than the 14.7
number for a typical blend of gasoline.

Greg