Replacing OE AFM unit

goonie.gordon at talk21.com goonie.gordon at talk21.com
Tue Apr 9 11:53:36 GMT 2002

Hi folks,
I'm not really new to the list but this is my fist ever posting and I hope someone can help.
I live in the sunny UK and own a European spec 2lt 8v MKIII Jetta (Vento GL).
I am in the process of tuning the engine and my attention is currently on the restrictive flap air flow meter.  As far as I am aware this is the most restrictive component in the induction system and is only good for about 160 BHP before the air flow tops out.
Bear in mind our early MKIII Golf/Jetta run on Digifant II with AFM and not Motronic with MAF as your MKIII Golfs do.
I have heard a common trick in the states for the MKII Digifant equipped Golfs/Jettas is to replace the stock flap style AFM with a "larger" one from a BMW.

If I can fit a suitable BMW unit I can have the head and camshaft suitably reworked to extract a little more BHP over and above a "standard" gas flowed head  - This is not an issue as I know a good engine builder who will do a custom port and valve rework (and before you ask he does use a flowbench) to allow for the slight increase in airflow over the stock AFM.

I have checked the local junkyard and there are several 6 cylinder BMWs' running the flap style air flow meter however they appear to be identical in internal cross sectional area to the OE VW unit, however they are on straight-6 engines that make way more power than my vehicle.  I suppose I may not be able to tell if its a "larger" unit without  first sticking it on a flowbench and comparing the CFM with the stock VW AFM.

Anyway can any of you good folks give me any pointers on the "larger" AFM BMW Bosch units like part numbers an so on or any pointers in general on this subject?
I have a background in Applied Physics so technical speak is not an issue

Ta... :o)

Alan Gordon

---