Propane/water/alcohol injection and O2 sensors

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Tue Apr 9 23:28:16 GMT 2002

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 12:19:03 -0700 , "Geddes, Brian J" <brian.j.geddes at intel.com>
wrote:

>Yep - I'm planning a petrol/propane mix.

Cool, that's why I asked; I think playing with 'alternate' fueling is kinda fun.
But I live a sheltered life and wasn't aware of this being all that common
(petrol/propane mix that is). T'would be an interesting experiment to see *how
close you could come to predicting* how much EGT drop you will get, given both
the calorimetry and stoichiometry calcs you could try ahead of time to
guesstimate how much a certain amount of propane injected would drop the EGTs.

>In tuning this kind of a system, my primary tool will be EGT.  WB O2 would
>be a nice compliment though, if I can swing it.

Sure, makes sense. Well if you get AFR equipped, the stoichiometry calcs should
work pretty well, figure the mole fractions and the stoich values of each fuel
(propane is around 15.5) if you want to try being dead on, but the difference
between the petrol at 14.7 and the propanol at 15.5 shouldn't skew your
indicated vrs. actual AFRs all that much. The wild card seems like it would be
the timing changes that might be required if the propane burn characteristics
are alot different than petrol (hmm, I just looked, and it also seems you're
going to get maybe a slight boost in overall octane rating, but not all that
much). Yeah, this looks like an interesting and worthwhile experiment.

Anyone else onlist done this before? I don't get out much, so I dunno. Hey, how
about petrol with a propane/nos chaser!!?? Hee hee.

Gar