WB won't read Methanol

Richard Wakeling kojab at optushome.com.au
Wed Apr 10 02:23:10 GMT 2002

Hi All,

    I have recently been playing with methanol fuel again in my 1.8 L turbo
charged Toyota. ECU is a 7749 with extra injector driver box so I now drive P&H
all 8 x 750 cc/m low impedance injectors at the same time to accommodate the
extra fuel requirements of methanol.
    My wide WB works well on petrol but makes no sense to me when I try and read
the A/Fs for methanol. The only readings I get are between 17:1 and 18:1 whether
the mixture is lean or rich. WB placement is about 5 feet down the exhaust pipe
from turbo. Performance gain with methanol is frightening. When boost approaches
20 lbs, rear wheels break traction in any gear.
    Why won't my NTK WB read Methanol?  What am I missing? Any thoughts.

TIA

Cheers Richard