[Diy-efi] Traction Control System - In progress (Update 1)

Crescent Kao crescent at c-speedracing.com
Fri Apr 19 06:28:09 GMT 2002

Hello guys,
  We've been following the diy traction control system for some time now and
we've finally decided to get the ball rolling on our own. Our test vehicle
is a 1999 Acura Integra equipped with ABS that is naturally aspirated (
www.c-speedracing.com/integra.html )

Our current approach is as follows (in a nut shell):

	- read input from existing ABS sensors
	- collect data from sensors to incar laptop via serial connection
	- process the data via some algorithm X
	- cut spark and/or fuel to reduce power due to wheelspin

We examined the ABS wiring diagram for the test vehicle and were able to
read a signal for each wheel. This is the results from the readings:

	Front wheels: 50mv and up (increases with vehicle speed)
	Rear wheels: 50mv and up (increases with vehicle speed)

	At around 30mph the reading was around 140mv

	The vehicle manual states that when the wheels are turned at 1 revolution
per second, a digital 	meter should read 70mv or above in AC. From our
testing, it looks like the faster the vehicle is 	traveling, the higher the
voltage is.

Our next hurdle at this point is figuring out how to interface the ABS
signal to our laptop through a serial connection. We have pretty extensive
programming experience, however none that deals with hardware interface.
We're wondering what we can do as far as implementing a serial connection
and what is required as far as libraries (C++) and where to get them.

The reason we would like to use a serial connection is so that we can send
modified signals to the ECU to reduce engine power. We're not sure how to do
this yet as we haven't gotten that far to tackle that hurdle. On a side
note, we talked about taking the analog input from the ABS sensors and
feeding them to the microphone input jack on the laptop since there is an
abundance of softare and libraries that will work with that. But I don't
that is the best approach.

So, at this stage in the game, if anyone knows of how we can take that
signal from the ABS and read it on a laptop, please let me know... we'd like
further this developement as quickly as we can.

Thanks.

Crescent Kao
Director of Marketing and Sales
www.c-speedracing.com