[Diy_efi] O2 sensor sensitivy speed

Kenny watson at iamfun.com
Fri Apr 26 23:36:25 GMT 2002

Quoting Bruce <nacelp at bright.net>:

> How do you tell a timing from a fuel problem
> using EGT?.

Well, ideally your EGT gues should give fairly uniform
readings. If they're giving nice reading and you're
still detonating, you know that there is optimal
combustion pressure in all clyinders, so you can back
off ignition. Mixture is always tuned first with a base
ignition map.

> Yep, feature creep sells 90% of any *new and
> improved* product line.

Well, it's not a particularly new feature, and it is
definitely a useful one either way.

> > >I'd worry more about individual cylinder
> tuning
> > > as a function of detonation
> > >control rather then just for AFR.
> > Yes but lean mixtures and detonation go hand
> in hand.
> > Monitoring individual A/F mixtures and
> trimming each
> > cylinder accordingly will go a long ways
> toward both
> > optimum power as well as detonation
> prevention.
>
> And what is the usual reason for leaness being a
> problem?

Excessive combustion temps leading to less-than-optimum
burn times and combustion pressures, greater tendency
to detonate, increased overall heat stress on
(particulary cast or hypereutectic) engine components.

> Isn't best to design things so that all
> cylinders contribute equally?

For sure, in a perfect world. And in most OE setups
they do, but when modified intake manifolds come into
play (as they often do in hi performance apps that
necessitate EMS) it's nice to be able to Juggle things
around.

> Individual cylinder trimmings are just covering
> up for other malfunctions.

Well, I'd prefer to call them necessary evils. ;)
Like the modified intake manifold scenario.

> I don't see where one is easier then the other,
> the trick is figuring out
> which cylinder to work with.

I've never noticed any programmable syste, being able
to retard timeing on a single cylinder basis though. If
this is common practice then my bad.

> And now that I
> think about it some, I think
> timing would be the better answer.

Except you lower the cyl. pressures in every cylinder.
That's my only thing.

> It's easy to
> swap injectors around,
> given a set that have been flowed,  then use the
> timing as a stop gap.

Uh oh, I think we're talking about different things.
hmm.

>I think using fuel control is alot of work to
> cover other problems, when a
> simple injector swap would answer the fuel
> delivery.

What I'm talking about is adjusting fuel delivery by
10% or so. If you're using and ems you might as well
have it compensate rather than running different sized
injectors (if this is what you mean).

>   After studying the plugs out of the GN with
> the big plenum manifold I
> think more then ever the mechanicals need
> optimised alot more then people
> think.

Agreed. Sometimes things like intake design is a
compromise where even distribution is slightly
compromised for lower pressure drops=> greater overall
volumetric efficiency.

>Batch or SEFI is fine for getting the
> fuel evenly distributed, it
> the air that's being overlooked, again all my
> opinion (some supported by own
> little experiments <g>).

Agree with this for sure.

-Kenny