[Diy_efi] Effect of detonation on measured mixture?

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Sat Apr 27 00:56:07 GMT 2002

Bruce wrote:

> On the GNs, you normally have to leave the plug gap at like .035" or
> slightly less for reliable ignition (it's DIS also).  In some experimenting
> today, I doubled that, with my CNP and things are fine <G>.
> Bruce

IIRC, the early days of the DIS Buick engines saw really large plug gaps.  Then the
started to drop down really fast.  I still smile when I remember going to a special
class on how to work with DIS systems.

"...and always make sure not to create a conductive path through your heart.
There's less risk of a heart attack that way."

But what's real fun for me is thinking about Smokey Yunick saying something like "We
need to see really large amounts of spark voltage to make real improvements.  I
don't think I've ever put too much spark to the plugs.  But I don't expect the
manufacturers will ever really supply enough spark voltage for real performance."

Smart guy, that Smokey, but even he couldn't forsee in 1970 the power held by CAFE
standards and the EPA in the 1990's.
Shannen