[Diy_efi] EMS Fueling Calculations

Mark clay0052 at umn.edu
Thu Aug 1 06:03:11 GMT 2002

Hello,

I'll take a shot at the first question. P*V=n*R(bar)*T is a form of the
ideal gas law. Another easier way to write it (and less work) is:

P*V=R*T, where

P=pressure
V=volume
R=universial gas constant (R(bar) divided by M.  M is Molecular weight of
the gas you are using - air in this case)
T=absolute temperature

(n=moles)

I'll use metric units. (K is for Kelvin. Add 273.15 to Celsius to get
Kelvin)

R(bar)=8.314 kJ/kmol*K
R= R(bar)/M=8314/28.97=  286.98 J/kg*K   (for air)
P=pressure in Pa
T=temp in Kelvin
V= volume in meters^3

You can also say density = P/(RT)

You probably don't care, but just FYI, the ideal gas law has some
assumptions with it (like enthalpy and spec. energy are functions of temp.
only), but is a very good aprox. in almost all cases. Anything going on in
an intake, the Ideal Gas Law is going to be very accurate.

Hope that helped.

mark